Hands up

Guest Guest3980

Guest MrsHills

Hmm, I am fairly sure hubby does, although I know that quite a few people from Ooop North think some of us southerners speak with Aussie accent anyway lol

Guest guest3462

I have to admit that I have started going up at the end of my sentences when im on the phone! I must annoy the aussies no end as it annoys me, but I just can't seem to stop it. Imagine what I must sound like, I have the strongest Barnsley accent which goes up at the end ridiculous I know!!! Makes my OH chuckle everytime!!! lol!

:biglaugh:

Who speaks with a fake aussie accent?

My Bolton accent is too Northen for an Aussie accent to infiltrate it but I have been known to use the lingo, no worries, shivers, how's it going? etc.... :jiggy:

:biglaugh:

My Bolton accent is too Northen for an Aussie accent to infiltrate it but I have been known to use the lingo, no worries, shivers, how's it going? etc.... :jiggy:

'shivers'? what does this mean?

Born in the east end of london, moved to Hertfordshire as a child, then Cambridgeshire - took a phone call at work the other day where the caller said "thank god I am talking to an Australian"! haha made me laugh, the caller was so angry though at not being able to understand the previous person on the phone that I didn't dare enlighten her, just tried to copy the twang!

But yes, I agree - being 'southern', my accent is not always picked up by the aussies, but strangely, always is by greeks and italians!

Guest nishman

Mine's not fake (put on) - but it does come and go depending on who I'm talking to...

Working with ozzies all day, a bit of the brouge and lingo is bound to rub off.

FYI "Shivers" - "Oh my" or "Goodness gracious me" Not quite as Irwinesque as "Crikey"

I work in a call centre and I must admit that to relieve the boredom I occasionally adopt an "accent"! Never an Aussie one, they'd spot that as a fake a mile off, but I have tried French, Northern and Liverpudlian - "ahright la!" ;) It will catch up with me someday as all calls are recorded, but hey, I'm back off to Blighty soon anyway so not that worried!

Not a chance my lovely Welsh accent is far too strong, and the Aussies have huge trouble understanding me, my 16 daughter has changed her accent as she's in school all day and picking up the aussie lingo, but my 9 yr old has kept her Welsh accent, as for the 2 yr old just wait and see as he's stinging more and more sentences together................

Guest Tina P

Not me, never will loose it.

What really niggles me is that Ozzie's can not tell the difference between me saying the number 4 and 5. If I say its $4.50 at work they will hand me $5.50, I then say no 4 !!! and they go 5 !!!

I have to hold up 4 fingers - lol.

My 4 yr old has lived here more than she has in the uk and she always gets comments on her accent, how much they love it.

Spends to much time with me - school soon though :notworthy:

There's an age above which apparently the accent doesn't change. That's not to say people aren't going around faking accents!

A mum at the school gate asked me in a condescending voice around 2 years ago (we'd been here about 4 months) how I was 'coping with the weather'. She has a fake accent and had been here 2 months longer than us. :) We are both married to Australians. I said "Same as everyone else. Surviving". I am happy enough with life to speak with the midland / northern / Norfolk / Queens English mix that my life has taught me from living and working in different places.

I know people exaggerate their accents cos you meet people who've been here around 30 years and they still sound as though they have just come on holiday or not long been here. They appear happy enough not to need to change. :)

My kids are a mix of accent but always have been cos DH is Australian and they are surrounded by Australian family. I don't think they will ever probably have pure Australian accents. Adelaide isn't a strong accent anyway so that may account for it.

Guest tinkham_lee

my partner has got a slight aussie tang which is really noticeable, especially on the phone, I say the occasional word in an aussie accent, not intentionally of course. we both use a lot of aussie lingo. we have been here a year now.

There is a bloke at work who is pure aussie, (great grandparents are english) and he speaks with an English accent lol.

When we were in Fiji recently lots of people asked where we were from and looked at us as if we were lying when we said "Adelaide" - mind you, one (very australian) lady did laugh wryly when we told her and said "might have known with the English accent you came from Adelaide - my kids are coming home from school with an English accent!" - Guess whereabouts in Adelaide she lived??? Give you a clue .... it began with " 'all.." and ended with "...ove"!!!

Guest Guest5035
Guess whereabouts in Adelaide she lived??? Give you a clue .... it began with " 'all.." and ended with "...ove"!!!

ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Little Britain ???:unsure:

Stevo