Murray Houseboat trips

Guest robertreynolds

Guest robertreynolds

Got a few friends heading over from the UK and we're thinking of renting a houseboat and sailing down the murray..

Does anyone know who I can get in contact with to get prices for such a thing?

Also, how long would I be looking at for such a trip - Im not sure how long I can get off work...

Has anyone done a trip like this?

Cheers

We went on one last year over the first weekend of November - it was brilliant, so peaceful and relaxing and definitely highly recommended - even when the river was much lower. We had a boat with a jacuzzi but if I did it again I wouldn't bother with that - when we wanted to cool down (it was very hot) we just dived into the river and to have the jacuzzi going you needed the generator on so it wasn't all that peaceful! We hired canoes which we stored on the back of the boat - great for little side explorations and chilling out in, and for when someone wanted to get away from the group. There were places we stopped at where kookaburras came down and took food from your hands, and eagles nesting in the trees along the river, ducklings, pelicans - it was a great short break.

I know last year lots of houseboat companies were considering selling up though because all the publicity about the lowness of the river meant much less (fewer?) people were booking than normal. I will try and find the name of the company we went with and post it up if I can find it, but try a search for "houseboat" and I'm sure there have been some great threads in the past with recommendations.

Here's a thread I posted last year just before we went: http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/out-about/13096-question-about-murray-houseboats.html

Guest robertreynolds

Thanks for the reply.. So a weekend would be long enough then? I could probably get the Friday and Monday off work as well so could make it a long weekend..

Ill have a search here, sorry I probably should have done that before posting!

I reckon a long weekend would be ok - I know when we went we had to get the boat back by 10 on the last day though which meant mooring up near to the drop off point, so might be worth getting Monday off and perhaps a half day on the Tuesday if they'll let you? On the day we picked it up I think we got away after lunch sometime - check with the company when you speak to them though, it may be that if the boat isn't booked out after you return it you could have it longer (specially if it's not during the school hols)

I am very jealous - would love to do it again sometime.

We did a 3 day trip starting from Murray Bridge - there were just the 2 of us and the weather was mixed - storm, wind, blazing sun! We had a brilliant time but would start a further up river to get more variety. Murray River's Largest Houseboat Hire, Rental Fleets & Range select your starting point and look up the options.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee102/jane-poppytree/Australia%2008/DSCF2688.jpg

th_DSCF2688.jpg

Guest robertreynolds
We did a 3 day trip starting from Murray Bridge - there were just the 2 of us and the weather was mixed - storm, wind, blazing sun! We had a brilliant time but would start a further up river to get more variety. Murray River's Largest Houseboat Hire, Rental Fleets & Range select your starting point and look up the options.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee102/jane-poppytree/Australia%2008/DSCF2688.jpg

How much did it work out at for just two of you if you dont mind me asking (ballpark).

I think it will probably only be 3 or 4 of us, and these boats look a bit big for that many, did you cope OK with just 2?

Will probably do Friday - Monday inclusive so should get 3 nights, 4 days or such.

www.houseboatbookings.com ........... get a brochure sent to you, (click on the 'free guide' bit at the top of the home page, it only takes a couple of days to arrive) or have a look at the website online.

Highly recommend it, we've been from Murray Bridge on Bella Casa (4 berth, 2 bath, 3 nights, 4 people), and from Blanchetown on Scamp (4 berth, one bath, 7 nights, just the two of us), and have booked again for next year on Adventurer (10 berth ..... all my family) from Blanchetown. I think the fuel for Bella Casa worked out at about $180 and for Scamp $190 ....... the fuel cost is taken out of the bond you pay at the start of your trip., and the balance returned a week or so after your holiday.

Scamp was fantastic and I'd highly recommend a few days on the river from Blanchetown. It's very quiet, we didn't see another soul for three days. We had some lovely bonfires on the bank in the evenings and did some fishing and a few decent walks on shore too. Don and Miriam Griffen from Griffens Marina are brilliant, and very helpful. They have their own little marina with secure parking there and it's only a couple of hours from Adelaide. http://www.griffens-marina.com.au

Don't worry about driving and parking them - it's very easy .... and you get everything onboard that you could possibly need for a relaxing holiday. Just take your food, grog and fishing rods and you're in for a great time.

Sharon

How much did it work out at for just two of you if you dont mind me asking (ballpark).

I think it will probably only be 3 or 4 of us, and these boats look a bit big for that many, did you cope OK with just 2?

Will probably do Friday - Monday inclusive so should get 3 nights, 4 days or such.

It was a couple of years ago so prices quoted in other posts are more accurate.

Here's the link http://www.houseboatbookings.com/boatdetails.php - we had 'Orlando' We managed surprisingly well, except my husband was hopeless at mooring and left it to me each time. Basically you line it up, keep it straight and head for the bank at full speed then slam it into reverse when you hit the beach!

His knots were't brilliant either so he did the best he could to secure then I retied them - being a good girl guide! Our boat had 2 bedrooms, loads of space inside, a great galley, swim platform, bathroom with Jacuzzi and a nice sundeck. Felt like driving a prefab but soon got used to it.

On the stormy, windy night we had separate bedrooms as the boat was rocking side to side in one and top to bottom in the other! It was a great holiday experience - go for it.

th_DSCF2693.jpg th_DSCF2692.jpg th_DSCF2690.jpg th_DSCF2689.jpg

Guest robertreynolds

Cheers for all the replies. Ive booked Elfin from here http://www.ozhouseboats.com.au/houseboats/open/main.htm

Talked myself into a 6 day trip, and spalshed out the extra for the spa, 'just in case'.

My only issue now is how to get to Murray bridge from the CBD.

Not sure its worth hiring a car to do a 90 min drive and leave it parked for 6 days, but it looks like theres only 1 bus a day that goes there? 9am there and 4pm back to the city, both via mt barker?

You'll need a car to pack all your food, clothes, grog and fishing gear, to take with you on the boat. Just an example for me and hubby for a week we packed out our Mitsi Magna wagon to the roof including the back seat - and we did use everything just about. That did include a couple of guitars and a small amp though .......... but remember you will have to take all your provisions and beer enough to last you.

Next year when 4 adults and one baby are going for a week we are taking the trailer as well.

I don't think you will be able to carry very much on a bus, sorry!

Guest robertreynolds

Im not sure they know anyone locally that drives.. Im flying in from Sydney and my mate who lives in Adelaide hasnt really been there that long, and the others are just visiting from Scotland. But Ill get them to ask about.. I agree its a waste having a hire car and having it sit in a carpark for a week..

I guess the other alternative is to post up the dates and times on here and see if anyone is available and wants to earn a few bucks...otherwise a cab might work out cheaper than hiring a car. As Wizzy said, you'll have quite a lot to take with you, although I'm sure there's a supermarket and bottle shop in Murray Bridge so you might be able to stock up on a lot of things when you first arrive. Give the boathire people a call and ask them if they have any suggestions - they've probably been asked before! Might even have a vehicle at the mooring that you can borrow to go to a local supermarket...

Guest robertreynolds
I guess the other alternative is to post up the dates and times on here and see if anyone is available and wants to earn a few bucks...otherwise a cab might work out cheaper than hiring a car. As Wizzy said, you'll have quite a lot to take with you, although I'm sure there's a supermarket and bottle shop in Murray Bridge so you might be able to stock up on a lot of things when you first arrive. Give the boathire people a call and ask them if they have any suggestions - they've probably been asked before! Might even have a vehicle at the mooring that you can borrow to go to a local supermarket...

cab quoted over $100 each way.. a hire car was only $160 for the duration...

mate is asking about to see if he can find anyone to drive us, but might end up doing as you suggest :)

• 1 month later...
Guest robertreynolds

Got back on thursday... had an awesome time! Our wee boat only made it to mannum and back but sitll had a great time. Wearther wasnt too great for the first couple of days, but picked up after sunday!

Our boat looked like a motel compared to some of the swanky things we saw on the water, but was by far good enough for us!

Ended up hiring a car for the duration. Was bloody expensive, but in the end it was well worth it just for the hassle factor, and the freedom. Also meant we were able to go to mount lofty and the animal park up there too, whihc we wouldnt have been able to do if we;d just bus or taxi'd it..

All in all, a great trip. Highly recommended.