Two passports ?

snivag

We are waiting to receive a date to become citizens, my English passport still has 7 or 8 years left on it, my wife has been told that I need to get an Australian passport after the ceremony if we want to travel abroad as you are not allowed two passports, (I know someone who has two passports and works abroad) she seems to think that if I leave the country I will not be allowed to return into Australia as the Temp visa in my passport is no longer valid, surely I don't need to purchase an Australian passport until the English one runs out, please tell me I'm right I'd hate to admit I'm wrong. :biglaugh:

Guest Guest5035
The £400 odd I'd paid for the English one, is the first reason, the second and more importantly I don't want to be wrong. :unsure:

put it on ebay, some wannabe imigrant wanting the uk will buy it.

stevo

International law states that you're supposed to enter and leave any country that you're a national of, on that country's passport. So when travelling from Australia to the UK, you would show your OZ passport to leave OZ, your UK passport to enter and then leave the UK, then your OZ passport to re-enter OZ at the end of the trip. When travelling to other countries, you can use whichever is most convenient (e.g. your UK passport to enter europe, or your Australian passport to go to the US if you can't be bothered carrying both)

Guest Guest5035
International law states that you're supposed to enter and leave any country that you're a national of, on that country's passport. So when travelling from Australia to the UK, you would show your OZ passport to leave OZ, your UK passport to enter and then leave the UK, then your OZ passport to re-enter OZ at the end of the trip. When travelling to other countries, you can use whichever is most convenient (e.g. your UK passport to enter europe, or your Australian passport to go to the US if you can't be bothered carrying both)

is that why i've entered the uk twice in a year that the passport control have asked where my britsh passport is, as i've only a australian one, i just replied i'm a australian citizen

stevo

The £400 odd I'd paid for the English one, is the first reason, the second and more importantly I don't want to be wrong. :unsure:

Hi there

The relevant legislation says that an Australian Citizen may ONLY enter Australia on production of an Australian passport at the point of entry into Australia. Anybody who wishes to use the passport of another jurisdiction must produce evidence of a valid visa for Australia but Australian Citizens are the only group who are not eligible for visas for Australia, ergo they must produce an Aussie passport instead.

It is a bit circular, I know, but you cannot be an Aussie Citizen and hold a visa for Australia in the same breath, if you see what I mean. It has to be one or the other.

My sister is an Australian Citizen but she is also a Citizen of the UK. When she comes to the UK, she uses her British passport to enter the UK and then she uses her Aussie passport when she returns to Australia. Alan Collett of Go Matilda also has dual Citizenship and he says he does the same thing.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Guest5035
Never throw it. Keep it current. It's great never having to enter the "foreigner" queue in London and Adelaide! Oh, and GREAT for travelling in Europe!

Anglo-Aussie and proud of it!

just aussie and proud of it, no more uk, thats why i came here..

stevo:smile:

Guest Tterrier81
just aussie and proud of it, no more uk, thats why i came here..

stevo:smile:

so if u are an aussie and proud, and renounce everything british, why do u use a forum called POMSinadelaide???? why not use a forum for aussies in adelaide

Guest Guest5035
Can't get you away from the UK how many times you been in the last 2 years ?? Do you just go for the history and culture as there not a lot here.lol

Oh no my friend, not the culture or the weather or the friends but the real the reason i've been back is that,

MY MOTHER IN LAW IS ACTUALLY TERMINALLY ILL.

stevo

Jeewizz, what have I started, thanks for all the advice I now understand that I need to enter AU on a AU passport, thanks everyone,

and just to stir it up a bit more, although you might now be a AU citizen you are still English/Scottish/Irish if that's where you were born, you don't rescind your birth country. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

You are allowed two though - some nationalities make you rescind your nationality when you take Australian, but the UK doesn't. I've held two for about 25 years

Hi Diane

I asked JAJ on British Expats about this. JAJ is Jeremy Jenkins and he is the Oracle about Citizenship issues. He does some consultancy work for George Lombard:

http://austimmigration.com.au/site/?q=node/1

In my own case, I was born in Malaya in 1956. Malaya was a British Colony until August 1957 when it became independent and adopted the name Malaysia. The act of obtaining independence is called Merdeka in Malay. Because I was born in Malaya prior to Merdeka, I was automatically entitled to Malaysian Citizenship as soon as that became possible. However my parents were both British and I was earmarked for boarding school in the UK, so when I was about 7 my father formally renounced my right to Malaysian Citizenship on my behalf in order to get me a British passport instead. Apparently Malaysia will not recognise dual Citizenship.

So I asked JAJ why this is? He said that it is very common with the countries that have been British Colonies in the past but are now independent Commonwealth countries. I pointed out that Australia used to be a British Colony and is now a Commonwealth country, so if the Aussies are OK with dual Citizenship, why shouldn't Malaysia be equally content with the idea?

JAJ said that the Aussies didn't suddenly wake up one morning and say. "Wa hey! Let's approve the idea of dual Citizenship!" He said that the Aussie Government did a lot of soul searching etc before they concluded that granting Australian Citizenship without insisting on revocation of the person's original Citizenship is a powerful way of unifying the many different cultural/racial groups who have settled in Australia.

I can understand that, particularly when Australia wants all of its settlers to adhere to essentially Western values. I can see that Malaysia does not face similar considerations.

However, until JAJ told me I hadn't realised that the whole thing seems to be rooted in countries obtaining independence from one another. I also hadn't realised that countries seem to set such great store by issues of Citizenship.

Cheers

Gill

Thanks Gill, that's very interesting. To be honest, I hadn't thought about it a great deal - just have friends here who are Dutch/German etc who I think had to choose between keeping their original citizenship or taking Australian. Having said that, my UK passport has expired but when entering the UK in July I was told I could still go through the UK Passport queue (which was shorter) on an expired UK Passport, as long as my Aussie one was still valid to travel on!