House selling - encouraging start!

guspjmh

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

For those of you who are madly packing, here are some tips!

Put aside your important documents e.g. passports etc that you want to bring on the flight, so that they won't be packed accidentally - by you or the shippers! If you get a strong zip up folder to keep everything safe then it's handy for bringing on the flight.

Pack cameras camcorders etc now while you aren't panicking. We lost our camera in the move - no idea where, it just didn't make it to Adelaide with us.

I would recommend scanning important docs like passports, visa grant notice, birth certs etc and saving them on a USB or similar so that if something does happen to them you at least have copies. You'll be amazed how much you need those docs the first few days you are here!

Kids toys - if your little ones can't bear to be parted from their toys, you can hold onto their favourites and post them the day before you fly, takes about a week for them to arrive, makes a big difference to them settling in. We packed ours in Ikea plastic boxes with lids, covered in parcel paper (well taped), and they arrived safe and sound.

Let your bank and credit card company know you'll be travelling (and your stopovers) so your cards won't get declined.

This is my opinion only - try not to have your final goodbyes to family at the airport - it's very stressful at the airport, worrying about flight, luggage allowance etc and you want to be able to concentrate on your goodbyes and say all the important stuff without the added pressure of making the flight! Plus if you have young kids they are already stressed about the whole thing enough without witnessing all the huge emotion just before they fly! As I said my opinion only, things work differently for everyone.

Best of luck to you all with house selling, packing and travelling!

Sinead

Just feeling so much pressure at the moment, I've been pretty evil to live with just lately. Like many others have said though.....and I really do hope we will look back and either think "why did we stress so much" and "this is so worth it".

I've had a job interview via Skype, which seems to look on the positive side as I've been asked for a technical test. Not sure on the pay at the moment, but it works out to about £29.5k not sure if that will be a struggle with my Wife not working and a little one to look after, plus we're thinking about baby No.2 after we arrive in Aus. That is dividing the salary by 2.2 soooo daft question, but if I do that, do I also need to divide living expenses by 2.2 or the exchange rate? i.e. rent etc

• 3 weeks later...

Good luck with yours as well!

We knocked off 15k a while ago but unfortunately it's still slow. Doesn't help with a house down the road selling for 25k less that ours is up for now!! Problem is people look on Zoopla and the like but don't realise it didn't have central heating, loft conversion, garage and it was smaller than ours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's just tough out there right now. A house at the end of the street sold for £31k more than ours is listed for (and £41k more than we'd accept) about 9 months ago - the only difference was a slight extension to the side, widening their kitchen, and it had been more recently decorated.

It's all about the right buyer at the right time and we can only wait and keep our fingers crossed. My wife isn't keen on selling before the reccie anyway, but I just want it done so the reccie can become the real thing!

When is your Reccie? I bet you can't wait?

For me it was the first time going home in 34 years and I just loved it. My wife wasn't too sure at first when we drove from the airport but as we travelled around it grew on her - mind you the only way it would have given the wow factor for her would for it have Jonny Depp on every corner.......?? the kids loved and even went swimming in the sea in mid winter!

We are going for easter next year 24th march - 8th april. I'm just a bit worried that with a 3yr old and a 1yr old, we may be so tired and jetlagged we don't enjoy it as we should.

I just want my wife to love it, so she can get over the nerves and really visualise the lifestyle we could have there!

It's just tough out there right now. A house at the end of the street sold for £31k more than ours is listed for (and £41k more than we'd accept) about 9 months ago - the only difference was a slight extension to the side, widening their kitchen, and it had been more recently decorated.

It's all about the right buyer at the right time and we can only wait and keep our fingers crossed. My wife isn't keen on selling before the reccie anyway, but I just want it done so the reccie can become the real thing!

I couldn't agree more, the right person right place right time. We were very fortunate that our buyers fell in love with it as soon as they saw it. Make sure you hide as much clutter as possible and push seats well back etc to make the space look big, but at the same time make it look like a home rather than a house. All the best to all.

We are renting now in a old very cold house. Three weeks to go!!!!!

IrishStew

I couldn't agree more, the right person right place right time. We were very fortunate that our buyers fell in love with it as soon as they saw it. Make sure you hide as much clutter as possible and push seats well back etc to make the space look big, but at the same time make it look like a home rather than a house. All the best to all.

We are renting now in a old very cold house. Three weeks to go!!!!!

IrishStew

Are acclimatising for the Aussie Winter?...lol

Thanks!

How is Aldinga beach - it looks lovely, but is the journey into Adelaide a bit of a nightmare, or is it pretty painless? It's certainly one of the areas that's appealing to me.

We like Aldinga and we didn't feel the drive was too horrific. Yes it's busier at the times you would expect but as I have said before the traffic into and around Adelaide isn't any worse than Blackpool during the season. In fact I found driving there very relaxing.

We also liked McClaren Vale and Trott Park.

The eldest lad loved Henley/ Brighton/ Glenelg but we explained that the houses were far too expensive for us......much to his disgust...lol

I don't envy you with a 1 and 3 year old but if you ask on here, if you haven't already, someone will give you tips and ideas on travelling with young ones.

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
Well another viewing today. They are looking at a few and will short list the best ones and then have a second look!

So we will see what happens!

At least it's another viewing.

Misp

Today was our 3rd viewing in 8 days, since we knocked £10k off the asking price.

Good feedback from the first two, but no offers so far. The agent today said they loved it, but it's close to the top of their budget. We'll see....

I hope you guys have some luck soon!

Got everything crossed for you both that these are The Ones!! I know how frustrating that wait is but everything can change just like that.

Good luck

Well another 'no' by the looks of it as OH rang estate agents to be told that they had a 2nd look at another property :-(((

At this rate it all looks pretty bleak that we will get to Oz!

NO NO NO, don't get down, I cannot count the number of times I thought - it will not happen - and now it is.

Todays news is that house prices are rising again - a good sign. All you need is ONE buyer, not twenty viewers, just one buyer.

Take a deep breath, and relax.

Remember - its not over, until its over. I know of a friend who sold on the very last day they thought it possible.

Keep that smiley face on :smile: it saves the cost of a face lift!

IrishStew