A post about being back in UK

adelaidenow

This is one of the reasons I love this site!

When I read Jessica Berry's post, I wondered what on earth The Shard was. Thanks to Google I now know and it looks pretty amazing. Plus I kinda want to visit the toilets there now!

So, thank you, JB! And adelaidenow, of course,

:smile: LC

The loo with a view!

P1040762.jpg

we weren't too chuffed with the traffic as we left airport last visit in 2012 it's quite scary when your not used to it!

we also found people in shops not too helpful and miserable looking.

I enjoy shopping in Adelaide as staff always seem to make a fuss.

I do think that living in Adelaide makes you soft. When we left Heathrow airport last year and were driven around the M25 the traffic seemed really fast, way too close together and quite scary. I started thinking I wouldn't be able to cope with driving there anymore. However once I got behind the wheel, the 1st 5 minutes of driving were a bit scary, but after that your brain just slots back into gear and remembers how to do it. I really enjoyed the whole driving experience, found it quite liberating and fun (even on the M25 and going down narrow country lanes in a Jeep Grand Cherokee!) and felt quite depressed on getting back to the constraints and tedium of Adelaide speed limits, straight roads and traffic lights.

Following on from the last post that someone put about a trip to UK, I thought i would start a new one. They said they saw lots of solar panels...

I haven't seen any solar panels, very little sun and lots of people

When we sold our house in the UK, we had to have whats called an EPC done on the house (Energy Performance Certificate) where they tell you how energy efficient your house is, they also make suggestions on how you can make your house more energy efficient. Well their advice to us was to have solar panels fitted at a cost of £14,000, to make a saving of ........wait for it.............get ready with the maths.................................................£250 a year. Ok that will take 56 YEARS to even get the £14,000 back!!!! Are they serious?!! Apparently they are. I couldn't justify spending £14k on something like that, however down the road from me, there is a large council estate who have all just gone through a multi million pound tart up, and guess what, they have ALLL had solar panels installed in their brand new roofs. I wonder if each of the council tennants had to pay £14,000?? Many solar panels have gone up in the last few years.

When we sold our house in the UK, we had to have whats called an EPC done on the house (Energy Performance Certificate) where they tell you how energy efficient your house is, they also make suggestions on how you can make your house more energy efficient. Well their advice to us was to have solar panels fitted at a cost of £14,000, to make a saving of ........wait for it.............get ready with the maths.................................................£250 a year. Ok that will take 56 YEARS to even get the £14,000 back!!!! Are they serious?!! Apparently they are. I couldn't justify spending £14k on something like that, however down the road from me, there is a large council estate who have all just gone through a multi million pound tart up, and guess what, they have ALLL had solar panels installed in their brand new roofs. I wonder if each of the council tennants had to pay £14,000?? Many solar panels have gone up in the last few years.

Of course they didn't - I lived on a council estate for 8 years and watched them get new kitchens, bathrooms, central heating upgrades, the works......and still some of the tennants would moan they were not being looked after by the local council.

Guest Guest75
*pinches self*

No, not going off on one, stop it - don't have to get wound up by that anymore!

"Coiling your spring up even more"???????:biglaugh::biglaugh:

It was 4.5 years since we last visited the UK and we couldn't believe the amount of solar panels everywhere, photo attached of panels in 'sunny' Nottingham. I kept walking round and like a broken record saying to everyone "but you don't have enough sun, how much are they generating, how long does it take to get your money back?" None of my family or friends had solar panels, so no one could answer, so thank you for the sums, it did make me laugh.

In comparison we had a 3kw system fitted 2 years and 8 months ago and since we have had it fitted we haven't paid an electricity bill or gas bill (we use the surplus to pay the gas bill) and we should recoup costs in approximately 4.5 - 5 years.

P1050400.jpg