WATER in Adelaide

Guest AJ1881

In my experience the build up in toilets here is where because of water restrictions people don't flush the toilet all the time. That was the case in our last house. It actually scraped off in lumps, but never came back with regular flushing.

Our washing machines, kettles, baths and sinks where the water dripped, and around the outlets would be COVERED when I was growing up. Not to mention needing dishwasher salt, which they don't need here. And I can get lovely bubbles in my bath here. Couldn't get any growing up lol.

Guest AJ1881

Morning Guys,

Thank you all so much for feed back on water. I was worried as I started looking at different things (council rates, water....) one thing lead to another, so I became concerned with all those reports of water from river being contaminated by runs of farm-fields.....

But now I feel more comfortable after having a comparable info, so thank you so so much! :)

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Spitfire
I spent last few days (given its a bank holiday) wading the forum. It is informative, but one thing got me thinking, water.

I've seen posts and in later search online articles (by various authors) on poor water quality in Adelaide.

It appears that not one single person drinks water supplied via tap to their home. Is this true?

Apparently average monthly water supply is AUS$ 60, as supply sources vary from rain collection, reservoir and river (filtration).

Thanks

Alex

I don't drink the water in Adelaide and never have done because of the taste. I also try to avoid cooking with it as much as possible because of the fluoride. I asked SA Water a few weeks ago why they add fluoride and where they get the chemicals from but no reply. I buy mineral water in boxes and use it as much as I can afford.

• 1 year later...

the horror stories are all thirty years out of date (- from before the time the metro water supply was filtered, and we relied very heavily on the River Murrray supply)

Compared with Sydney tap water, ours is really OK by way of taste, and is definitely safe to drink.

At this time of year try keeping a pitcher of tapwater in the fridge and drink it from there.

If you do have problems, it may be because your house connection is an old galvo pipe that is due for replacement.

JB :swoon: