Newspaper Article - Skilled Migrants having trouble getting jobs?

Guest Rob and Clare

I think work here will get harder and harder to come by, my company has shed 1/4 of the workforce (100 people), Holden will be making an entire shift redundant or putting both shifts on short weeks this will affect all automotive companies, the mines are shedding jobs as quickly as they can as demand falls, many defence contracts are finishing up with no extra work to follow, the wine industry has fallen by as much as 20% and in the last few weeks a number of retailers are closing down. This will at some point have a knock on to trades people as building work slows and people cut back on home improvements.

All in all it's going to get harder for everyone to find jobs for the next year or so both here and the UK.

The job situation is definately a problem, there seems to be a bias against new migrants in many industries, I was told by one company that I interviewed with that not being an Australian Citizen meant that I was automatically the weakest candidate. It makes it very hard to break into the workplace. Whilst I have had a couple of good temp roles getting permanent work appears to be the stumbling block. I think a lot of luck is involved, you getting to the right person with the right skills at the right time.

Guest Libby1971

It is no secret that as teachers it took us ages to find perm work.

We arrived in April and had one or two unexpected problens right at the start which slowed us down in terms of finding accommodation and a more long term address. Once that was done we then started the registration process which took a while. As Moosh said, the most important thing was a reference and given the time delay, the Aussie schools are not interested in waiting till the UK ones open. Most references here are given over the phone. You will hear it said before but who you know is really very important here.

We took agency work sending us to private schools which paid $100 less than working in the govt schools. I got a contract for term 3 and OH got a shorter contract in term 4. He got a perm job in term 1 which turned out to be very challenging and I got a perm job in term 2 which I am still in. So from arriving here to starting work in a perm job took me a year. I say a perm job but in teaching in private there is a probation period of a min 2 terms. This can be extended if you are not meeting standards or if parents have expressed a concern or if you have no experience in a promoted position. I started April 08 but was not confirmed as perm until Nov 08.

Guest wemadeit

I guess it is like all places around the world - it is very hard to find work!! BUT - there is a distinct difference between having a PR status and a temp status!! As mentioned by several PIA's - there is definitely work available, and life in Adelaide is good - it is a laid back, relaxed city, with traffic levels which are still easily manageable in rush hour..................................BUT...........................as clearly pointed out to me in the last couple of weeks by these 'wonderful' recruitment companies.(NOT!!!!!!!)........if you are on a tempo visa, there is alot of weariness about taking you on.....Why???.............well because there are so many visa types, many companies are quick to dismiss 'potential employees' unless they can provide PR status beecause they do not want to have to 'support you', sponsor you' etc etc etc..............Be prepared to work hard to get the job/career path you want.......and in the meantime take aything that comes along...............

But, SA is a great place and .....................in my opinion, a worthwhile 'risk' to take............

Guest redfoxy

If they want a copy of your visa details they will know you are temp but if they dont you can just say you are perm if you intend to stay anyway, the job is a means to an end to get PR is it not ??

As long as you have a TFN you should be ok. I too applied for about 30 jobs before a got a full time office job, which I feel is slighty lower hourly rate than it should have but maybe they saw how desperate I was for a job !! I need that 52 fulltime weekly pay slips to satisfy the SIR 495 !!

My advice is just keep plodding away...

Guest Libby1971

9 times out of 10 the employer will want to see your passport and your visa to check you have working visa status or PR whatever.

In order to get registered with everyone under the sun for teaching I had to show my passport three times and in each case they wanted to see the visa page.

There is a letter that can be downloaded in order to reassure employers, not sure where it is but a search on here should find it. Personally I would not lie about whether I had PR/ temp res as I think it is tricky if caught.

9 times out of 10 the employer will want to see your passport and your visa to check you have working visa status or PR whatever.

In order to get registered with everyone under the sun for teaching I had to show my passport three times and in each case they wanted to see the visa page.

There is a letter that can be downloaded in order to reassure employers, not sure where it is but a search on here should find it. Personally I would not lie about whether I had PR/ temp res as I think it is tricky if caught.

I came here on a 136 VISA , as a Toolmaker 4 jobs down the line and the odd bit of work labouring i have just been taken on by Bunnings as a team member.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that this lasts a while.

I have had 2 admin jobs and my partner has had 2 IT jobs in the 2 years we have been here and we have never been asked to verify our visa status (which is PR) they just take our word for it, the Australian's are very trusting and accept you on face value I find.

I have contacted many recruitment agencies and again, I have never been asked to provide proof - maybe I just have an honest face ha ha!!!

As for teaching staff, they seem to have checks in place which can only be a good thing.

I have had 2 admin jobs and my partner has had 2 IT jobs in the 2 years we have been here and we have never been asked to verify our visa status (which is PR) they just take our word for it, the Australian's are very trusting and accept you on face value I find.

I have contacted many recruitment agencies and again, I have never been asked to provide proof - maybe I just have an honest face ha ha!!!

As for teaching staff, they seem to have checks in place which can only be a good thing.

The only places that i have been asked for proof of VISA was by agencies who dnt find you any work.lol.:arghh: